NSINDAGIZA Organization, considering the integration of the elderly in the implementation of the SDGs, organized on May 24, 2018 a high level workshop on long-term care, palliative care, autonomy and independence for older persons. The workshop was organized in collaboration with the Rwanda Bio-medical center, National Commission of Human Rights, with the support of MINALOC and HelpAge International, and different actors in palliative care, human rights institutes, Government and Civil Society attended the workshop and the MINALOC addressed the opening remarks. After the presentation made by NSINDAGIZA Organization, RBC, SDGC/Africa and the National Commission of Human Rights, the participants agreed on the following recommendations:
1. The Government of Rwanda and non-governmental organizations, to include in their programs to educate and give ability to the elderly, so as to help them reduce their pain and that they may be able to age gracefully.
2. RBC/MoH ought to raise community awareness on the existing palliative care to the people and put in consideration the elderly in particular.
3. The Government and non-governmental organizations should conduct the researches on the livelihood of the elderly, so as to promote the rights and welfare of older men and women and create awareness based on evidences.
4. The Ministry of Health to fast-track the in-service training and awareness for health professionals on how to take care of the elderly
5. The Ministry of Health to train specialists in gerontology and geriatric and establish geriatric services in all public hospitals and clinics
6. The Government of Rwanda to comply with the international and regional instruments/measures/mechanisms related to the rights of older persons and plan to attend annual meeting of the UN Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWG) that should be attended by the Government, the National Commission of Human Rights and the elderly representatives
7. The Government of Rwanda to fast-track signing and ratification of the African charter on the rights of the elderly (2016), putting in action the Madrid Plan of Action on ageing (2002) and to submit the due reports concerning the above.
8. The MINALOC to speed up the national elderly policy, and advocate for the mainstreaming ageing among all the sectoral policies, such as MoH, MIDIMAR, MINAGRI, MIGEPROF, SDGs implementation…
9. Civil Society and Private Sector to put into consideration the elderly in all their programs.
10. Put in place policies that will enable the older men and women of the society to take decisions on their own and be able to participate in programs to build the family and the country as a whole
11. The Government of Rwanda and civil society to increase community awareness on the violence against the older men and women and to celebrate the World Elder Abuse Day, every June 15th
12. Non-governmental organizations to work hand in hand with the Government in the celebration of the International Day of Older Persons, October 1st.
13. Put in place policies to make known the Law of the responsibilities of children towards their parents and the consequences of failing to do so.
Kigali, May 24, 2018
Elie MUGABOWISHEMA, President of NSINDAGIZA